Saturday

When A Facebook Friend Dies




A friend died yesterday. Because I had never met him in real life, I only found out this morning about his death. The internet, Facebook specifically, introduced us. We had been friends since 2012, so that means, he wished me Happy Birthday twice, Merry Christmas twice and we conversed on some pretty hot topics during that time.

My problem is not that he died and we can't engage in stimulating topics any longer. No my problem is how do you mourn the loss of a Facebook friend? There are those that think this is a strange thing, that people online are not really your friends. I must disagree. Facebook has done such a good job of allowing us to share our lives, our photos, accomplishments and general life stuff, that you feel like you've known some of your Facebook friends all your life.

So, to lose a Facebook friend to a real life eventuality like death, creates a feeling of loss and sorrow. I never met you Facebook friend, but I feel like I have.

Well, my Facebook friend is gone on, made his transition. This particular transition is the final stop for us all. Oddly, we are only reminded of this inevitable event when we have a shared experience with the person who died.

For instance, many of us had never met Whitney Houston, but since her death on February 11, 2012, there have been hundreds, if not thousands of posts celebrating her life as if she were family.

That's what social networks like Facebook do--they close the gap of unfamiliarity, introducing us to people we don't know, people who we just might like if we were given the chance to meet them. These are people who enjoy the things you do and say as much as you do. These Facebook friends sometimes offer words of encouragement, prayers and even smart remarks to crazy things you may say. Just like a real family would. So it's not wonder you mourn when a Facebook friend dies --just like you would if you had really met them. But wait, you do know them, Facebook just introduced you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, I agree that the friends in our social networks often feel closer than family at times. What amazes me is that the people we can touch hands with are not the people we reach out to. I have experienced loss in my immediate family and on my social networks.
    To be allowed that intimate glimpse into someone's life is a gesture of love that most often take for granted. I am really touched by your post. Hopefully this will awaken others to sending out good vibes to everyone they can connect with and not use it as a means to create a battle ground.
    What we do in the realm of humanity creates a human stain on our Karma... reaching out with love is what makes the world go round... remember the Stylistics song.. "People make the world go round.." ~ Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Linda! One thing I found out when joining any social network, is that like minded people, find others just like them. So, it is no accident that the people we are connected with share a commonality. Being able to develop online friendships with people who like what you like, is a bonus to being connected. Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it. What social networks do you belong to? Maybe we could connect.

      Delete