Wednesday

Facebook Groups a Waste of Time?

I have spent countless hours promoting ideas and internet marketing opportunities within Facebook groups. Now, I'm convinced that Facebook groups don't work. They are a waste of time, and all you get out of it are tired wrists and spam. Facebook recently allowed administrators of groups to 'pin' posts--that is to use a tactic used in forums known as 'sticky posts,' in an effort to pump life into a dying product. Facebook marketing groups are dying a slow death offering very little value to those who use them.

Earlier this year, Facebook announced timeline cover photos, like the ones used on personal profile pages in an effort to align the groups product with the rest of Facebook. But, for my personal belief, the Facebook groups are of no value and are a waste of time.

Most group members do not participate after being active for a very short period of time. There are no long lasting engagement levels among members, only growing numbers of inactive users. Forget making a sale or getting a signup from being a member of Facebook groups, you may from time to time get a like for a comment you make if that comment is read by someone who hasn't been a member for long. For the most part, Facebook groups are a dead wasteland taking up space within the social network.



4 comments:

  1. I would agree to a point LaTease, but they are still serving a purpose. For example, I found your post thanks to you posting it in the Syndication Elation group. This still happens a lot. Sadly, changes in Facebook and the scrapping of ping.fm have seriously damaged that particular group. The automatic links people would get for posting there are no longer coming, and manual participation has dropped of significantly, almost to nothing. I do belong to a few other groups that are still very active. What I can tell you is, if the admin drops in activity, the group will suffer. Whoever started the group must stick with it or there will soon be no group anymore. The funny thing is, Google is just now starting with their version of groups, called "Communities" over on G+. I wonder how well that will play. So far, the ones I've seen were nothing but spammers and I declined the invites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has also been my concern Bill, the spammers who pretty much 'live' in the groups on Facebook. It's as if no one is sharing good information, only marketers attempting to sell MLM products and services. Syndication Elation and Cool Bloggers are good groups. Oh and Ileane's group is great as well. thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook groups have always advantages and disadvantages. You always need to take the risk with this.

    AllenCarlos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get as much use out of Facebook groups as I do with LinkedIn groups. Possibly because LinkedIn groups have more structure, are more organized and are centered around a common goal. My experience with Facebook groups have not been that rewarding either from gaining sales/signups to my products or traffic to my blog posts. Whereas with LinkedIn, I have experienced signups and traffic to my blog posts. Thanks for taking the time to comment ketz.

    ReplyDelete