Wednesday

How To Get Through Discouraging Times: My Testimony

It's so easy to become discouraged in life. Especially when you've have done everything to fix problems in your life but they still remain broken. Perspective, how you look at things, no matter how bleak, can change the outcome of your situations. For instance, money is low, rent, car note, light bill, need to be paid. But you only have enough money to pay 1 or 2 of them. You're not making enough money on your job so you're always coming up short. Discouragement and disappointment set in, and all of a sudden we find ourselves worrying uncontrollably. That's never good. I try to walk as close as possible to Jesus as I can. This morning I was talking to God, trying to get some wisdom and understanding to my situation. I've been out of work since October, and my job search hadn't yielded anything. I had even begun applying for jobs in Florida! Everyday I applied for 5-10 different sales jobs and nothing, just plain ole crickets! Now last week I interviewed at a Marketing company downtown for a position as a Social Media Marketing Partner (what I have my degree in.) I felt good about the interview and I loved the culture of the company! So the company sent me an assessment -- you know the ones that ask you the same question 50 different times 5 different ways. It's like a psychology assessment to see just how crazy you really are! Well that assessment frustrated me! It was 75 minutes long and my mind felt like spaghetti halfway through the process! I called my sister and ranted as long as she allowed, but she calmed me down and I began to look at another perspective of the situation.
So last night before I went to bed I finished the assessment. Mind you I didn't feel I had done well. This morning as I was reading a Bible Study article on "5 Ways to Stop Discouragement from Getting The Best of You," my phone rang. It was the company I interviewed with last week inviting me for a final interview! I am so happy! Because I know it's all in God's hands and I gave it to him 3 months ago when I started this journey. The training class starts next Monday, so I believe God's will be done not my will. This scripture reminds me of Paul's sojourn: He says, “Therefore we do not lose heart.… So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:8–18). Paul never minimized the pain of the temporal, yet discouragement didn’t win because he knew that God’s purposes were at work. I won't deny, being a Christian requires us to be a soldier, and a soldier's life is not easy. Just because we tell God, "I will," does not mean our lives will be free of troubles, quite the contrary. It's not that we'll be free of troubles, but it's how we get through those troubles that makes the difference. I thank you Lord for all you continue to do in my life, in my family's life, my friends life. I don't know what I would do without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment